California School for the Blind
ABOUT WHAT'S HAPPENING ACADEMIC LIFE   OUTREACH RESOURCES DIRECTORY
MESSAGE STATEMENT HISTORY ADMISSION School Accountability
Report Card 2012/2013

HISTORY
1860-1950

Education of
Deaf-Blind Children

Opportunities
in the 60s

Preparation
for the 70s

Challenge
of the 70s

Construction
Crises/Opportunity
Newel Perry, Pupil,
Scholar, Teacher Leader

CSB History
1980-2010

CSB
Superintendents

Construction Crises/Opportunity

In 1922 the School for the Blind program was reorganized and a plant completed in 1931, with small additions in 1945, 1957, and 1971. Unfortunately, the earlier construction did not meet the stipulation of the "earthquake" code and subsequently the fire code standards. Further, the hillside terrain and two-story construction prevented enrollment of children with limited mobility (wheelchairs), and allocations for repairs had not kept abreast of plant deterioration. In 1973, the Department of Education determined that the school plant was to be relocated. Although many of the staff opposed leaving Berkeley, emotions were set aside, and they became involved in the preparation of plans for an appropriate residential school for visually impaired children with multiple handicaps. Even though many valid recommendations were included, the resistance by the alumni and citizens of Berkeley to relocating the school to a truck garden acreage in Fremont surfaced and was hotly debated. Upon completion of the Fremont construction, the school was moved; the Berkeley site has become the Clark Kerr Campus of the University of California. The residences and classrooms that had housed the deaf-blind children have been identified as the Helen Keller Building, and a family of redwoods has been dedicated as the Lowenfeld Grove. The Fremont facility is now recognized as the best in the world for visually handicapped children

HomeContact UsCalendar Employment Map Accessibility Information

Any questions, comments, or suggestions about this site are appreciated to eingenthron@csb-cde.ca.gov